Senior Data Scientist (based in Kigali, Rwanda) - #8981499
World Data Lab
The role will support WDL’s initiatives under a new project, through which we seek to develop a granular real-time job growth model for young Africans, to monitor and forecast employment trends across a minimum of seven countries in sub-Saharan Africa (Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Uganda, and Senegal). The objective of this comprehensive real-time data model is to produce credible job estimates, including complementary data on prospective job entrants and the number of inactive and unemployed young Africans. The data model and the tool are intended to support efforts to better model youth employment levels across Africa to respond to select research needs and foster local impact.
Your contribution to World Data Lab:
Lead, build, and develop data teams
- Build and give input on innovative data models tackling the biggest challenges of today’s societies
- Conceptualize, plan, and lead implementation of new functionalities from the ground up
- Provide strategic input to WDL’s data & product roadmap
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders on ongoing projects and provide estimations for future collaborations with private entities, national governments, and other international actors
- Improve existing processes and enable efficient collaboration between internal teams, especially in tech
What we are looking for:
5-7 years of experience in manipulating data and building statistical models
- At least a Master’s degree related to mathematics, statistics, or a relevant discipline is required;
- Fluency in English is essential, additional languages are advantageous;
- Excellent programming experience in R (and Python);
- Experience in manipulating data and drawing insights from large datasets;
- Knowledge of advanced statistical concepts and techniques (Bayesian model averaging, random forests, etc.);
- Passion for clean code and focus on simplicity;
- Experience working on topics such as ethics, gender, youth engagement, and impact or sustainability;
- Ability to work and be flexible in a fast-paced scale-up environment;
- Strong cultural awareness and high sensibility to deal with cultural and geographical diversity;
- Ability to build strong client relationships and lead engagements;
- Be open to learning something new each day.
- Background in Labor Economics
- Expertise with neural networks;
- Experience with GitHub and RMarkdown.
What’s in it for you
- State-of-the-art equipment that helps you to perform at your best with a global and dynamic team
- The opportunity to have an impact in a fast-growing and well-established big data SaaS scale-up
- Work with leading public and private institutions
- Flexible working hours and conditions with high acceptance of home office
- Be part of an international team of highly motivated and like-minded individuals, including global thought leaders
- Great individual development and growth opportunities
Our mission: To make everyone count!
We offer a competitive base salary and overpayment based on previous experience. We strongly believe that people are a critical piece of the equation and essential to achieving long-term success. Our passion-driven team works tirelessly towards making everyone count, together! Above all, we value integrity, honesty, and creative thinking to achieve our goals
If you’re up for a challenge and ready to work with our diverse team, please send your application until 31 December 2022 at the latest Founded by economic thought leaders and technologists, World Data Lab (WDL) is a data science SaaS enterprise that uses cutting-edge, peer-reviewed methodologies and AI to most credibly model and forecast spending power as well as demographic dynamics
Our proprietary data models enable organizations, businesses, and the general public to make better decisions - from deciding which labor market policy has the biggest effect to entering a new market based on the next million consumers. In all we do, our ultimate goal is to create as much impact as possible. Our leading products like population.io, worldpoverty.io, worldhunger.io, and our World Data Pro tool have already reached millions of people across the globe, truly democratizing access to data.